Saturday, November 29, 2008

We live at.....


The crossroads of Lora Belle Lane and Hazel Dell Road.
A customer of mine has a mom who owns a sign shop. We have wanted to do this ever since we bought our land.
Hazel Dell was the name of the one room school house that was on this land when we bought it. Deb's dad and Jessi and Jenna's great grandpa went to school there.
Deb had the most wonderful grandma named Gramma Lori. Her real name was Lora Belle (Williams)Allen. She was her dad's mom. She used to own this timber that we now live on. Deb has the greatest memories of walking this timber with Gramma Lori and picking up walnuts, hickory nuts, and beautiful Sweet Williams. Those are Deb's favorite wildflowers.
As fondly as we talk about mom, Deb talks about Gramma Lori. The street sign was one way of honoring her. The other is how much we appreciate the outdoors.
God has blessed us so much in family. I know that everyone agrees that while the Bozarth family is awesome, we have some remarkable people in our extended family as well. Would love to read about some stories about remarkable family members from the outlaws. As in older days, family stories passed down form our rich heritage.

3 comments:

Deb said...

My Grandma was the best person I have ever known. She always wore a dress, even around the house...some of you remember them. The cotton house-dress. She was very short 4'11" and eventually 'shrank' to 4'9"...she had bow-legs from riding horses so much when she was young, and for as long as I can remember she had snow-white hair. She ALWAYS had chocolate covered raisins on the table for us grandkids when we visited (that my dad always told us to stay out of)...she made the best hamburgers you have ever eaten, and stewed iced tea with lots of sugar (which as a child that was the bomb).

The most amazing thing about my grandmother was that I seriously never heard her say a bad word of anyone! She always looked on the bright side of life, gave a smile and hug, when she laughed she would put her hands together and bring them up to her face at the same time. She had arthritis in her knees and hands. But never once heard her complain about it. She could predict the weather with how her knees felt that day.

She used to take her 'dandelion digger' out in the yard and work all day on those dandelions. She never forgot our birthdays! Grandma never learned to drive a car.

She took care of my Uncle Howard who had severe epilepsy as a child, he lived with her until her death on June 3,1987. He lived in the farm house until his death in February of 2005.

Grandma used to make appetizers of sliced bananas (cut lenthwise) mayo, sugar and nuts. Delicious! Her house was always neat as a pin, but warm and inviting as well. She had the greenest-thumb I have ever seen... could grow any sort of house plant.

She is one of the best parts of my life to this day. Love you Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the street sign honors both of your Grandma's. Your Grandma's had a lot in common also. Grandma Bozie was also very short, wore house dresses, never drove a car and never spoke unkind about anyone. She was the most unselfish person I knew and worked very hard every day. She was at our house every day helping Mom. At times she even took laundry home on the bus to help Mom get cought up. When she got home at night she was busy making quilts as they were the only blankets we had on our beds growing up. We never knew how precious they were at the time. Now I am afraid to use any of them.
We are thankful for dear Grandma's and we weere lucky enough to have had 2 of them.

Anonymous said...

I love the street sign! I am sure that your grandmas love that you have such great memories of them, and I am sure they loved you every bit as much, if not more, than you adored them. It is just something about grandmas. I used to ask my grandma how I could skip being a mom and just be a grandma, and she would smile wisely at me and say "sweetie, you'd be missing the best part then". She was right...as she always was. I hope to someday live up to the example that BOTH my sweet grandmas set for me. They were the greatest influence of true family in my life (because, I didn't want to pay a lick of attention to my mom, who knew far more than I ever gave her credit for) Deb and Jan, thanks for sharing your grandma stories...the loved ones in our past help shape the people we are.