Last night she was able to stand alone and here she met Lou. Today she took to the bottle all by herself and is very strong. We have her in the dog crate in the laundry room until the 13th! That is when we can wean her off the milk replacement...and hopefully she will go back to the 'herd' at that time. As of tonight I have penned up one more momma goat, I believe she might be in labor as I type. It could be a long night for Deb and I. We have decided that we are not going to loose any others if we can help it. (and never have goat kids in the winter again) If you are in the area, please stop and see our little Miracle! Of course there will be more pictures as she grows.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
It's a Miracle!
After losing three goat kids to the cold weather, Deb and I decided to intervene with nature and bring this little one in the house to 'thaw'. Meet 'Miracle'...she was born January 2 at approximately 8:00 a.m. Her mom had done her best to clean her up but I found her too weak to stand and nurse. Deb and I tried to help but she was shaking and the bottom of her ears were frozen stiff. I brought her into the house zipped up in my coat. Deb rubbed her and warmed her with her body temperature while I ran to the farm store to get some milk replacement.
It was touch and go for awhile, we had to force her mouth open and literally make her eat.

Last night she was able to stand alone and here she met Lou. Today she took to the bottle all by herself and is very strong. We have her in the dog crate in the laundry room until the 13th! That is when we can wean her off the milk replacement...and hopefully she will go back to the 'herd' at that time. As of tonight I have penned up one more momma goat, I believe she might be in labor as I type. It could be a long night for Deb and I. We have decided that we are not going to loose any others if we can help it. (and never have goat kids in the winter again) If you are in the area, please stop and see our little Miracle! Of course there will be more pictures as she grows.
Last night she was able to stand alone and here she met Lou. Today she took to the bottle all by herself and is very strong. We have her in the dog crate in the laundry room until the 13th! That is when we can wean her off the milk replacement...and hopefully she will go back to the 'herd' at that time. As of tonight I have penned up one more momma goat, I believe she might be in labor as I type. It could be a long night for Deb and I. We have decided that we are not going to loose any others if we can help it. (and never have goat kids in the winter again) If you are in the area, please stop and see our little Miracle! Of course there will be more pictures as she grows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh my goodness...she is such a little cutie! Jeff failed to mention that Miracle is from Beatrice, which is one of Brandon's goats. But since B has been in Mexico and missed the whole ordeal. We feel like she is ours now! So incredibly sweet! :)(never thought I'd have 'livestock' in the house...)
Your little Miracle is adorable. I understand bringing her in to save her. We all complain about the weather but don't stop to think how horrible to be born into this cold outside. You both did a wonderful thing.
Yay Miracle! We can't wait to meet her. Hailey has already said something about wanting to see one be born. I told her she may have to wait a bit for that! Thanks again for having us!
What a story...glad your new kid is doing good....The cold weather just doesnt affect people but all those aniamals too
She is so adorable. I'm available to come "cuddle" if you ever need any help! :)
Post a Comment